Starting in 1967 and for some years thereafter, subsidies from the Municipality of Aalborg enabled Nordjyllands Kunstmuseum to acquire the Anna and Kresten Krestensen Collection.
For a generation and more, Anna and Kresten Krestensen ran their own dental technology business with laboratories throughout Denmark. With the income from this they built up a notable collection of Danish and international art roughly covering the years 1920-1950.
Anna and Kresten Krestensen were always happy to show off their collection, both at their villa on the banks of Gentofte Lake and on the Rundskuedage (annual Open House Days). The museum's first director, Lars Rostrup Bøyesen, knew the collection well and it was due to his good offices that much of the collection passed into the museum's hands in 1967.